Monday 8 October 2012

The polar bear

The polar bear


A1. The polar bear

present simple


POLAR BEAR CUB:  Mum, am I a real polar bear?
POLAR BEAR MOTHER:  Yes, dear, of course you are.
POLAR BEAR CUB:  Really?
POLAR BEAR MOTHER:  Yes, son. I’m a polar bear. Your dad’s a polar bear. Your grandparents are polar bears. Your sisters are polar bears. Your brothers are polar bears.
POLAR BEAR CUB:  I know that, mum. But am I a real polar bear?
POLAR BEAR MOTHER:  Of course you are. Be quiet and eat your fish.
POLAR BEAR CUB:  But I’m not a polar bear, I’m sure.
POLAR BEAR MOTHER:  Listen to me. You are a real polar bear. Why do you ask the same question again and again?
POLAR BEAR CUB:  Because I’m freezing!

Grammar: present simple

The verb to be is irregular. Look at the full forms and the contracted forms.

Positive Contracted form Negative Contracted forms
I am I'm I am not I'm not
You are You're You are not You're not /  You aren't
She is She's She is not She isn't / She's not
He is He's He is not He isn't / He's not
It is It's It is not It isn't / It's not
We are We're We are not We aren't / We're not
They are They're They are not They aren't / They're not

For short positive answers, don't use the contracted form.
Incorrect:
Yes, I’m.
Correct:
Yes, I am.
Incorrect:
Yes, they’re.
Correct:
Yes, they are.

Choose the correct form of the verb to be to complete these sentences.

1.    He am / is / are cold.
2.    She am / is / are his mother.
3.    Why am / is / are your feet cold?
4.    It’s the right answer, I ’s / ’m / ’re sure.
5.    Jack and Leo am / is / are my brothers.
6.    You am / is / are very quiet.

Match the questions with the short answers.

7. Is she your sister? A. Yes, they are.
8. Are your feet cold? B. No, I’m not.
9. Are you and Sally teachers? C. No, we aren’t.
10. Is this the same joke? D. Yes, she is.
11.  Am I in the right place? E. No, it isn’t.
12.  Are you American? F. Yes, you are.

Vocabulary exercises

Choose a word to make the opposite of these expressions.

quiet cold real same

1. a different question the ________ question
2. warm feet ________ feet
3. a noisy child a ________ child
4. a toy bear a ________ bear

Choose the correct word to complete these sentences.

know Listen have ask be

5. Children ______ a lot of questions.
6. Sit down and ______ quiet!
7. I ______ got cold feet.
8. ______ to me!
9. Do you ______ the answer?

Are these words for men (M) or women (W)?

1.
son

M/W
2.
aunt

M/W
3.
grandfather

M/W
4.
brother

M/W
5.
daughter

M/W
6.
mother

M/W
7.
father

M/W
8.
sister

M/W
9.
uncle

M/W
10.
grandmother

M/W

http://3ifx.net/hoc-tieng-anh/jokes-english/94/The_polar_bear.html

No comments:

Post a Comment